Fishing Season: Closed as of 1/31/2022

Skagit River - WA

Fishing Outlook & Conditions

Water Temp:

45

Orvis Seattle's Tip of the Week

***Open until January 31st*** Find Boat launches to give you good access on foot to large gravel bars. Keep an eye on flows as this river can fluctuate often. Fish streamers like a white Dolly Llama or Sculpin patterns. ***Check regulations to make sure area of fishing is open and the fish you want to target is open before making your trek up.***

Directions open in app

Map of Skagit River

Water Flow Data

Tidal Conditions

Orvis-Endorsed guides nearby

There are no endorsed guides on the river

5-Day Outlook as of 11/22/22

Today: Rain. High 46F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 100%. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Wednesday: Cloudy. High 47F. Winds light and variable. Thursday: Sunny, along with a few afternoon clouds. High 56F. Winds light and variable. Friday: Rain early...then remaining cloudy with showers in the afternoon. High 44F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall near a quarter of an inch. Saturday: Showers early, becoming a steady rain later in the day. High 41F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 80%. Rainfall near a quarter of an inch. Sunday: Morning light rain followed by a mix of rain and snow in the afternoon. High 39F. Winds light and variable. Chance of precip 70%. Monday: Partly cloudy skies early. A few snow showers developing later in the day. High 39F. Winds light and variable. Chance of snow 30%. https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=48.5389&lon=-121.7515#.YR2GLhRKi1s ------- The dam can control the water flows, depth and visibility in a matter of 12-24 hours. Always check USGS before fishing. https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?12194000

Techniques & Tips as of 11/22/22

***Open until January 31st*** Swing large streamers on sink tip lines for salmon and steelhead and sometimes bi-catch trout. Trout nymphs, trout streamers can work great for rainbows and bull trout!

Local Species Available Closed as of 1/31/2022

  • Fish Icon

    Steelhead

  • Fish Icon

    Rainbow trout

  • Fish Icon

    Bull trout

  • Fish Icon

    Dolly Varden's

  • Fish Icon

    Salmon

Orvis Seattle's Recommended Fly Patterns

"Must-have" fly fishing patterns in descending order of importance:

Name: Colors: Size(s):
Muddler Minnow white 4
Tungsten Cone Head Woolly Bugger olive 4
Freshwater Clouser olive 4
Mike's Meal Ticket white 4
Muddler Minnow red 4
Micro Egg red 12

Muddler Minnow

Image Not Found

Orvis Seattle's Recommended Gear

Description: About Skagit River

The Skagit River is the major north Puget Sound winter steelhead river located 2-3 hours north of Seattle. It is a prime winter steelhead river with fish over 20 pounds the quest. There is also a coho salmon fishery in October, a chum salmon run in November as well as pink salmon every odd-numbered year. Hatchery fish enter the river in November and are followed by late wild fish March through April. There is a healthy population of bull trout in the upper stretches. The river has flow controlled by Hydro dams upstream as well as on on the Baker River in the town of Concrete. The mean flow is 5500 cfs and has fluctuations up and down during the winter days according to the the heating demands of the City of Seattle. This does not seem to affect the fishing. Hatches are not relevant to the catching of winter steelhead.

Nearest Airport:

Arlington Regional Airport

Hatches:

White streamers are great for bull trout and rainbow trout. Common hatches can also be effective on trout. Egg patterns work well for trout now that salmon are in the system.

Best Time to Fish:

Mid-Day

Best Stretch:

Above Concrete

Best Access:

Pull outs on Hwy 20 or South Skagit Highway or boat launches