Fishing Season: Closed as of 1/31/2022 (Season June 1- Jan 31)

Sauk River - WA

Fishing Outlook & Conditions

Water Temp:

41

Orvis Seattle's Tip of the Week

***Catch and Release only from June 1st to January 31st*** Rains will be increasing the flows which can bring more fish to the rivers. Be sure to check flows before you go as they increase dramatically with a big storm. Look for current seams, moving water and well oxygenated water.

Directions open in app

Map of Sauk River

Water Flow Data

Tidal Conditions

Orvis-Endorsed guides nearby

None

5-Day Outlook as of 11/22/22

Today: Periods of rain. High 46F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Locally heavy rainfall possible. Wednesday: Cloudy. High 46F. Winds light and variable. Thursday: Except for a few afternoon clouds, mainly sunny. High 56F. Winds light and variable. Friday: Rain early...then remaining cloudy with showers in the afternoon. High 43F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall around a quarter of an inch. Saturday: Showers early, becoming a steady rain later in the day. High 41F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 70%. Rainfall around a quarter of an inch. Sunday: Periods of rain and snow. High 39F. Winds light and variable. Chance of precip 70%. Monday: Partly cloudy skies early. A few snow showers developing later in the day. High 38F. Winds light and variable. Chance of snow 30%. https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=48.4748&lon=-121.6265#.YRLoyxRKi1s A good resource to look at is USGS for flows, temps and depth. Copy link below for the Sauk! https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?12189500

Techniques & Tips as of 11/22/22

***Catch and Release only from June 1st to January 31st*** Swing large streamers and intruder-type flies on sink tip lines for salmon, steelhead, and bull trout. You can also fish regular trout set ups for trout and bull trout as well. You can fish for all species with a single handed fly rod or spey rod.

Local Species Available Closed as of 1/31/2022 (Season June 1- Jan 31)

  • Fish Icon

    Steelhead

  • Fish Icon

    Rainbow trout

  • Fish Icon

    Bull trout

  • Fish Icon

    Dolly Varden's

  • Fish Icon

    Salmon

Orvis Seattle's Recommended Fly Patterns

"Must-have" fly fishing patterns in descending order of importance:

Name: Colors: Size(s):
Steelhead Selection white 4
Conehead Bunny Muddler olive 4
Freshwater Clouser olive 4
Zonker white 4

Steelhead Selection

Image Not Found

Orvis Seattle's Recommended Gear

Description: About Sauk River

The Sauk is a the major tributary of the Skagit and joins the Skagit below Rockport. It is a wild and scenic river and, as such, is undammed. Fluctuations from rain, snow and glacier melt are common with a mean flow between 3500-4000 cfs. It is a wide river with ample gravel bars and road access. The Sauk is a prime wild winter steelhead stream from March through April. The fish are chrome bright and can weigh up to 20 pounds or more. Hatchery steelhead can be found in the river from January. Some bull trout are caught in the summer on classic streamer patterns.

Nearest Airport:

Arlington Regional Airport

Hatches:

N/A

Best Time to Fish:

Mid-Day

Best Stretch:

Above confluence with Skagit

Best Access:

Pull outs along Hwy 530