Fishing Season: Year Round (Prime: May 1 - October 1)

Little Pigeon River - TN

Fishing Outlook & Conditions

Water Temp:

60

Orvis Sevierville's Tip of the Week

When it's hot try an ant!

Directions open in app

Map of Little Pigeon River

Water Flow Data

Tidal Conditions

5-Day Outlook as of 7/20/21

Today A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 83. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Tonight A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 7pm, then a slight chance of showers between 7pm and 10pm. Patchy fog after 2am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 65. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 20%. Wednesday A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Patchy fog before 7am. Otherwise, mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 90. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph. Wednesday Night A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8pm. Mostly clear, with a low around 67. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Thursday A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 92. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph in the afternoon. Thursday Night A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 68. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Friday A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 2pm. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 90. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph in the afternoon. Friday Night A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 68. Saturday A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 91. Saturday Night A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 70. Sunday A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny and hot, with a high near 92. Sunday Night A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 70. Monday A 40 percent chance of showers. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 92.

Techniques & Tips as of 7/20/21

Dry Fly's

Current Conditions as of 7/20/21

Today A chance of showers, with thunderstorms also possible after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 83. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%. Tonight A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 7pm, then a slight chance of showers between 7pm and 10pm. Patchy fog after 2am. Otherwise, mostly cloudy, with a low around 65. Northeast wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 20%. Wednesday A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Patchy fog before 7am. Otherwise, mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 90. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph. Wednesday Night A 10 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8pm. Mostly clear, with a low around 67. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Thursday A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 92. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph in the afternoon. Thursday Night A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 68. West wind around 5 mph becoming calm. Friday A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly after 2pm. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 90. Calm wind becoming northwest around 5 mph in the afternoon. Friday Night A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 68. Saturday A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 91. Saturday Night A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 8pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 70. Sunday A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly sunny and hot, with a high near 92. Sunday Night A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 70. Monday A 40 percent chance of showers. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 92.

Local Species Available Year Round (Prime: May 1 - October 1)

  • Fish Icon

    Trout

Orvis Sevierville's Recommended Fly Patterns

"Must-have" fly fishing patterns in descending order of importance:

Name: Colors: Size(s):
Tungsten Cone Head Woolly Bugger N/A 14-18
Shaky Worm N/A 16
Elk Wing Caddis black 16-18
Light Cahill N/A 12-16
Copper John Green 14-16
Pheasant Tail N/A 14
Travis Para Ant N/A 14-18
Adams N/A 14-16
Prince Nymph N/A 12-14

Tungsten Cone Head Woolly Bugger

Get down deeper with these conehead flies.

Orvis Sevierville's Recommended Gear

Description: About Little Pigeon River

The Middle and West Prongs of the Little Pigeon River each begin in the higher elevations and lush rhododendron thickets of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Near the headwaters, small plunge pools in these freestone streams hold lively populations of native brook trout that eagerly take well-presented flies. The Middle Prong begins near Ramsey Cascades and gains significant flowage with the introduction of Porter's Creek upstream of Greenbrier, producing wonderful habitat for naturally reproducing populations of brown and rainbow trout. As the West Prong flows north out of the Smokies into the lower elevations, it parallels Newfound Gap Road, a major thoroughfare in the Park, offering anglers ample access to the stream. The Prongs meet up near downtown Sevierville, at which point the Little Pigeon becomes one of the Southeast's best spring smallmouth fisheries.

Nearest Airport:

Knoxville (Tyson-McGee Airport)

Hatches:

Stonefly Caddis Yellow Sallys Ants Beetles

Best Time to Fish:

Mid Day to afternoon

Best Stretch:

lower elevation from park boundry to chimney picnic area

Best Access:

quiet walkways